Be a Yes Mom!

A Cheerful YES almost every time!


Our children love it when we say Yes.  “Can I have a cookie?  Say yes, say yes, say yes,” my son begs!  Is there a way to say Yes most of the time, and still keep wise limits?  If we were able to say Yes more, then when we do need to say No, it would be more rare and much more effective!




Rather than saying:  No, you can’t eat that, wear that, go there, or do that now, we can say:
“Yes, you can have that piece of candy!  I’ll save it for you til after dinner!!”
“Yes, you can wear that pretty dress!  In two days on Sunday!”
“Yes, it would be fun to watch that show.  Let’s rent it on Friday night!”
“Yes, you may go out to play.  Just as soon as your chores are done.”
“Yes, I can help you with that.  As soon as I am finished with the laundry.”
“Yes, you can stay up to read, on any night you get in bed early.”
“Yes, you can go to the temple with us--as soon as you turn 12.”

Suppose a child is misbehaving?  How about:
“Yes, you may play with this toy (as we put it up high), I’ll get it down as soon as you are ready to play nice.”





Even when we have to say no, we can phrase it carefully:
“I’d like to say yes, but I just can’t.  I have prayed about it, and I just don’t feel good about you going.”
“I wish we could go to the restaurant today, but it costs too much money.  Yes, we will go when we can save up enough money.”
“Yes, I like the zoo too.  We’ll have to plan to go when it’s Spring Break!”





“Whenever possible, say yes; they are only kids once!” said Marjorie Hinckley.If our Yesses are more frequent, all are happier and more cheerful.  Our No’s will then be less frequent and will mean more.

When we have to give a firm NO, it will be well received, because our children have heard plenty of YESSES! 

What do You do in for a positive home?  Please comment below!

Labels: